Thursday, February 14, 2008

Saved

I'm preaching through Acts and I've come upon the passage in chapter 16 where the Philippian jailer calls for lights and finds Paul and Silas still sitting there, although their chains have fallen off - and he falls on his knees and cries, "What must I do to be saved?"

I can't get this picture out of my head. He can't possibly understand all implications of sin and "The Plan of Redemption" - he simply wants what they have. He is really asking, "What must I do to have THAT." Whatever would cause two men to sit in a prison cell when they could just walk out - to think of him and not themselves. To save his life. THAT is what he wants. Meditating on this has really affected my understanding of the lost coming to Christ - and what they're coming for.

Don't get me wrong - I fully believe that Christ came to save 'sinners' - He makes that statement Himself. If my sin is not atoned for, it doesn't matter how much of the other stuff is added to my life. If I'm dead in my sins - I'm fully dead. I understand that and I know that is ultimately what the world needs to reconcile in their hearts. But the process - getting to that point - is not the same for everyone.

This jailer simply wanted to know what could cause two men to sing hymns of praise while they were in chains that were designed by the Romans to make them as uncomfortable as possible. He wanted to know what would cause two strangers to care about him - their enemy - so much that they would remain in that inner cell to save his life. He probably didn't understand sin and salvation the way we do. He wanted to be saved TO what they had, not necessarily FROM what he was. Coals had been heaped upon his head and melted him down.

Whatever it was – it was a positive thing he was seeking. Paul and Silas preached the real Gospel, which is good news. And the jailer found good news in the Good News. That’s amazing – because we don’t necessarily present it that way. Or live it that way. How often do people watch our lives and say, “Yeah – I want to get me some of that!” It’s not just trading masters. It’s trading bondage for release. Sorrow for joy. Hopelessness for purpose. Chaos for peace. You know . . . . . good news.

I’m not sure we always preach that Gospel. We tend to preach one that is harsh. Judgmental. Divisive. Hypocritical. Life-sucking instead of life-giving. The "Not-Good-News-For-You" Gospel. The "Hah!- I’m Going to Heaven- And You’re Not" Gospel. The "Come Be Miserable With Me" Gospel.

Let's remember (and live out) this simple fact: The Gospel is good news.




No comments: