Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Calvin

There's a certain guy who rents out our apartment. For the sake of anonymity, let's call him . . . . I don't know . . . . Dave. Well, anyway, this "Dave" is allergic to cats, and as I mentioned in my last post, we have a cat named Calvin. Dave likes Calvin, but can't live with him. You see, in large doses, Calvin makes Dave sick. If left together for an extended period of time, Calvin would kill Dave. Every once in awhile you hear the door to their apartment open and Calvin comes flying out - how he gets in there I don't know. I certainly don't force Calvin upon Dave.

I like Calvin - in small doses. Hey, I didn't even choose him! I live with him and I lift him up every now and then, but I am constantly reminded by his claws that he is not easy to live with. There are parts to him that are great, but there are other parts to him that are very disagreeable. Again, Calvin is just a cat - another one of God's created beings. He will live, he will make his mark (on my furniture) and he will die. And when he does, I will bury him in my back yard and plant a tulip on his grave.

Some people like cats. Some love cats. Some crazy people are obsessed with cats- building little monuments to them when they die. Some people even build their doctrines upon the ways of a cat. But I will not revolve my life around a created being of God. I have vowed that I will always and only lift up Christ - because I really do love Him, and because He told me that if I did that, He would draw all men unto Himself. And THAT is where I want men - drawn to Christ - not to a cat, no matter how cool he is.

One thing that "Dave" and I are learning together is that we may have different opinions about Calvin, but we both know how to put him in perspective. He is just a cat. And cats, no matter how deep their "mews"ings - should never come between brothers.

Now as for my pet fish Luther, well, that's a whole other story. . . .

No comments: