Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Rambling Church

I've been thinking and praying a lot lately about 'church.' Not my church, or other churches in the area - but the whole concept of church. I have many things to write about this - but for now I'll just say this one thing: Church should be a place/time of rest, of blessing, of peace - we should eagerly anticipate it.

It should not be a place where you're wondering if you're doing things 'right' - whatever that even means. I shouldn't have to be worrying about anything but worship. Is the music right? Is this person happy? Is that person okay with the lighting, the seating arrangement, the tie I'm wearing (or not), the food in (or out) of the sanctuary, the technology or lack thereof, etc. Does his/her spiritual happiness depend on me getting that all straight? Does their salvation depend upon the lighting, for crying out loud?

It should be believers getting together and singing, giving testimony to the power of Christ in their lives, sharing hurts and joys, helping, receiving help, opening the Word together. There should be no sense of wondering (is everything just right), only a sense of wonder (HE is just and right). That's what I want more than anything. To come and focus on Him and nothing else.

I hate pulling into the church parking lot, taking a deep breath, and saying, "Okay - get ready for what's coming." I want to pull in, take a deep spiritual breath and say, "All right! Get ready for what's coming!" Why can't it be like that?

I'm going to post a sign on the door: "Drop your agendas as you enter."

Honestly - I'm ready to walk away and just have church all the time in the homes of my friends and family. Every chance possible. Singing if we feel like it. Or not. Talking about what God is doing NOW in our lives. Or not. Praying for spiritual things, not just Aunt Millie's arthritis and Uncle Harry's swollen big toe. I'm tired of 'doing church.' I'm ready to 'be' church.

I'm just rambling - but I've come to believe that church should be a constant rambling through life. Not simply 'the perfect hour' on Sunday morning.

No comments: