Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Hardening of the Bloggeries

I have just been spiritually compelled to write this down. You see - it really hit me as I started linking through Christian blogs to other blogs - we all know the web you can get caught up in - going deeper and deeper into other Christians and their writings. What I found struck me hard - I kept hitting the recurring theme of discontent with the Christian culture. Then I realized my last entry was of the same ilk - basically a tongue-lashing of Christians and Christianity. I find it in the current Christian music as well - artists lamenting over the sorry state of Christianity. It's easy to get caught up in this mindset - everything is all wrong - and for that I repent.

My favorite psalm is # 84. It's a description of the pilgrimage through life - beginning with a man so in love with God that he's envious of the sparrows who are able to build a nest near the altar. They're able to live at the holy place - a place that he wants to continually dwell. He then goes on to describe the Christian life as one of a pilgrim who makes every place he goes a better place. The Valley of Baca - one of the driest spots on earth - becomes a place of refreshing springs. He goes from "strength to strength." In the up and down world of a Christian walk, his is one of continual strengths. The ups and the downs are strengths because God is in them. I know too many people who go from crisis to crisis - and to be honest - they are a very wearying group.

Which brings me to my point: You (we) bloggers out there are getting caught up in the depressing cycle of continually venting on the problems. Internal and external. There is definitely a place for that - but it is fast becoming a dwelling place. Trust me - you do not want to dwell in the inner cell of cynicism. It is a very lonely place - by the nature of the beast there can be no cell-mate. But that is not the pilgrimage of Psalm 84. Read it - right now. Take a moment, take a deep breath - and read it. Decide if that is the kind of life you want to live or if you want to die in your analysis of all that is wrong.

True Christianity is a lightness of being - and I feel a heaviness in your writings - a hardening of the bloggeries, so to speak. I am guilty as charged, and for that I apologize to my precious Savior. Jesus died so I could be free - not internally bound again by my own chains. I do Him a complete disservice when I return to the darkness.

No comments: