Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Give it a Rest

Psalm 131 "My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters, or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me."

I have been reading the maze of blogs that are somehow connected through this blog. Wonderful musings and struggles from 'young' Christians working their way through God and to Him. It's an important part of your faith - the struggle through hard teachings, doctrines and personal feelings. I mean this honestly - I commend you for your pilgrimage. I've been there and in many ways am still there.

But if there is one piece of advice I could give you it's this: To find rest, sometimes you have to give it a rest. I know that sounds simplistic, but even David, the deepest thinker in Scripture, had to take moments where he sat like a child.

I found this by reading Psalm 131 one night. In the struggle of the soul through the teachings that appear to be unsearchable and overwhelming, God reminded me that once in awhile you just have to say, "Okay, God, I believe you. I will take hold of this teaching with the faith of a child and just rest in You." What a burden is lifted when you do that! It doesn't mean you stop searching and working through things, it means every now and then you need to place a stake in the ground. You need to gain a foothold that you can build upon. I hope that you can do that.

Deuteronomy 29:29 "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law."

You'll go crazy and you'll never grow up as a Christian if all you ponder are the secret things that belong to Him. You will find rest in the revealed.

No comments: