Friday, February 15, 2008

Church Social - The Daze of Man

Warning: I am about to vent. Again. Vent and Repent seems to be my blogging style!

Here's what happens: I get grief from people at church when I forget if it's Veteran's Day, or Memorial Day, or Mother's Day, or MLK Day, or Flag Day - or Fill-In-The-Blank Day. I don't do it purposely - it's just not why I come to church. This stuff isn't even on my mind. I come to worship God and to fellowship with His people. Not to honor the Days of Man. I don't get it! But so many treat church as their 'Social Place' that these Days have to be brought in as integral parts of the service.

I'm not going to go cynical or critical here. God is working that out of my system. I just get frustrated when the other stuff is interspersed with worship to the point where you can't see any separation. I love my country - but I don't go to church for that reason. I love what others have done before me, and at appropriate times I remember them and it's meaningful. I just don't want to have these days defined for the church to the point that if we miss them we are chastised for not having our priorities in order. Priorities? The things of man are not my priorities.

Jesus says "Lift Me up!" and in the process to lift up our brothers and sisters in prayer. That's it. I'm not going to lift up days or countries or the agendas of man. I'm just not going to do it.

So there.

No comments: