Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Worthless Shepherd

So - I was lying in bed this morning - couldn't get back to sleep - with thoughts of church running through my brain. I was rewinding multiple conversations of a tough weekend. People saying they're leaving, people asking for ministries that they're not getting, people questioning my leadership - you know, the typical stuff that pastors face. But now it was somewhat of a crisis point. I told God that if He could find me a way out, I would take it. Really. It was an honest request and I meant it as I lay on my bed at 5:00 am. "Get me out."

I decided that lying there was unproductive, so I went downstairs to read the Word and pray. (Don't get me wrong, I don't often get up this early to do this.) I then did what I never do - I opened the Bible randomly and said, "Help me. Show me something." It fell open to Zechariah 11 and I thought, "Great - nothing in here." But then I read the chapter. Twice. It was unbelievable! Consider my frame of mind, what I was thinking, and read it. You'll see.

He especially struck me with the closing lines:
"Woe to the worthless shepherd,
who deserts the flock!
May the sword strike his arm and his right eye!
May his arm be completely withered,
his right eye totally blinded!"

I understood - shepherds do not desert the sheep. Seriously, I was changed on the spot. Sheep are sheep - they push, they pull, they wander, they cry - they would walk off a cliff if you didn't stop them! But shepherds don't leave them. Fathers don't leave their families. They stay and work through these things.

To God be the glory.


No comments: