Friday, April 11, 2008

The Christian and Politics - The Moral High Ground

Matthew 16:17 "Blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by My Father in heaven."

Upon Peter's great confession that Jesus was the Christ in Matthew 16, Jesus made sure that he understood that God had given him this insight. Peter did not come from man - which includes himself . He did not conjure up this great revelation because he was so intelligent and discerning. Truth must come from the Spirit of Truth - from God.

One of the problems in politics is that everyone, especially Christians, feel that they are the only ones standing on the moral high ground. But if you think about it, this isn't the issue. Of course we should think we are standing on the high ground - or else why would we be standing there? I hope that we're sensitive enough to move to the place that we think is actually right in this world. Hey, if I don't think I'm right, I'm going to find what I think is right and align myself with that. I trust that nobody is defending a hill that they know to be faulty.

The problem isn't where we're standing. It's how we're standing and why we think we're there. We only know the truths because God has revealed them, so there is never a time for being judgmental and self-righteous. I have no problem with people taking stands on issues or getting involved in issues that are dear to their hearts. I am concerned with the attitude - one that claims moral superiority for standing on that high ground. If you think about it, you have nothing to do with that standing. God has revealed it to you.

Christ made it very clear to Peter - you were told this by the Spirit. When you gain some great spiritual insight, and I hope you are constantly gaining them, never begin the process of elevating yourself and becoming a hyper-critical voice for the 'right.' A true understanding will draw you to your knees as you realize everything you know of value comes from Him. Every perfect gift comes from above. Right beliefs are perfect gifts from God.

So, as we begin the discussion on the Christian and politics, let's first remember that any great position you have 'found' - if it is right - you have not really found it, God has given it to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.