Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Think!

Last night I was bringing Luke to his Little League practice and I was hoping that he could really shine, that even though he's only 9 years old, maybe he could rise and prove to the older kids and the coaches how good he is. The only thing that was on my mind was that he do great (and maybe in the process show how great I am?).

Then, as he got out of the truck, he stepped right in front of a moving car. I could see the whole thing happen but it was too quick for me to do anything about it. Thankfully, the lady driving was able to stop just in time. My heart was in my throat as I watched my beautiful boy continue on to the playing field like nothing happened.

Funny thing, after that I just sat there and watched him practice - making some nice plays, missing a few grounders, and all I could think about was how thankful I was that I could watch my boy play. That moment of terror knocked the trivial out of me. And designs on human greatness, is trivial.

I was reminded of a word God gave me a couple of years ago: I could spend my life "impressing the world" or "impressing the Word." One is limited, the other eternal. I am thankful for this re-reminder that He gave me last night. It's really refreshing for your mind to have the cobwebs of humanity wiped out once in awhile.

I know this sounds corny and cliche-ish, but maybe for just a few moments today, step back and thank God for everyone in your life and the blessings you get to experience on a regular basis. The little things, like Little League practice, are really amazing when you think about it.

No comments: