Friday, April 11, 2008

Oh Brother

Genesis 50:17 "When their message came to him, Joseph wept."

What was the message that came to Joseph that made him weep? It was a letter from his brothers. Their father, Jacob, had just died and they now thought that this would cause Joseph to reneg on his promise of forgiveness and peace. Jacob was their covering, so at least they thought. They didn't trust the full forgiveness that Joseph had given them, so they sent a message saying basically that "Dad said before he died that you have to keep forgiving us. You can't take it back." When he received this message - he wept.

Joseph wept because his brothers didn't understand the fullness, the absolute completeness, of his forgiveness. How could they think that it was only a temporary hand that he held out to them on that beautiful day of reconciliation? It devastated him to think that they were living under this fear and doubt. What good is my forgiveness if they are still living under their own self-imposed condemnation?

In Luke 15, the prodigal's father was distressed because his eldest son did not understand that everything was already his in the first place. He could have a fattened calf whenever he wanted! How could my son be living with these thoughts in his head? What good is it if he has my riches at his disposal but he lives under a mindset of fear and jealousy?

I am the brother of Joseph. The brother who doesn't understand the fullness of what has already been given to me. The brother who has been completely forgiven and restored but still wonders if it's real. The brother who wonders if there are conditions and coverings that can be removed and I am back in my unforgiven, miserable state.

I am the brother of the prodigal.
The brother who, through Christ, owns the 'cattle on a thousand hills' but still gets angry when the fattened calf is killed for someone else. The brother who calls working for my father "slaving in the fields." The brother who doesn't understand that the riches of the Father are at my disposal at all times.

Luke 15:31 "My son, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours!" Present tense riches.

According to Colossians 2:9, the fullness of God is within Christ, and the fullness of Christ is within me. Everything that comes with Him is in the believer - waiting to be fully formed. How He must weep, like Joseph, at our inability to grasp the fullness of His redemption and our lame attempts to write 'letters' to make Him keep His promise, instead of simply believing. "My brothers, do not live like you have a guillotine hanging over your head! My redemption is full and free - there is no condemnation on you if you believe this! It is not conditional and it is eternal."

How often we confuse eternal life with a temporary restraining order.

How anguished He must be at our anger over fellow brothers who receive a portion of what we already have in abundance! "My son, everything I have is already yours! Eat, drink, be filled with Me! There are riches enough to go around. The immeasurable and inexhaustible riches of Christ! Embrace your lost brother without fear of losing what you have! What good is a party of one anyway?"

How often we confuse the abundant life with a temporary filling.

Please - let's live in what we already have and no longer doubt. Victory is only gained when we take a step of faith and take Him at His Word believing that we are eternally free and filled. Only then can we truly move forward. Everything else is a step back.

No comments: