Monday, April 7, 2008

What Price For One Man

I read an article in the paper about a 31-year old man who weighed over 1,000 pounds. After 2 years of surgeries, counseling, and moving him to Massachusetts for more surgeries, he is now down to 460 pounds. Good for him.

But it raised the question in my mind: Where does all that fat go? Seriously, when I read the article I asked myself: How much do we spend on a man who didn't even have enough self-control to save his own life? There are thousands who could have been fed on what it cost to unfeed him. Have you ever wondered at what point it's not worth it to save a life? (I will say this: it shows something that is inherent in our nature - that we do understand the value of every life, whether we want to admit it or not.)

I've always heard it said that Jesus would still have died if there were only one person on earth, but I've never read that anywhere in Scripture. I sometimes wonder if He would have, but it's really a stupid thing to think about because we'll never know. It's the human race that has fallen, not just one man.

The fact is, and let's stick to the facts, Jesus did die for any who would come to Him and believe. And I am one of those men - like this fat man - with such a lack of self-control that I could not even save myself. For him it was food, for me it's everything else.

He paid a price - His life - for this one man.

No comments: