Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tenets or Tenants

Who/what is more important in our Christian pursuit?

What good is truth if people are left in the wake? Are the tenants, the ones living in this faith, the reason for the truth in the first place? Or does the truth exist apart from the people.

This may seem like a foolish question, but to be honest, it's one that almost sank me in the early stages of my emerging faith. I found too many Christians clinging to their (particular) brand of truth as people's lives remained shattered around them. I didn't want to be a part of any movement that lived its truths out this way.

However, as I grew in my faith (and love for the people) I also realized that the truth cannot be compromised. The tenets matter, the truth always matters. And to some degree it is more important to maintain that truth over the feelings of people. If every whim (and even every hurt) was a cause for the adjustment of the truth, then it wouldn't be any good to anyone. The distinction in the notes (I Corinthians 14)is necessary, because it is this distinction that draws people to the Lord. And only He can bring the healing to the people that are hurting.

Sometimes it feels like the church is a dog chasing its tail.

No comments: