Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Sorry Life

II Corinthians 7:10 "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorry brings death."

I noticed something this morning when I actually had a good prayer time with God: as you press into Him, as you give yourself the time to go deeper, you will hit a point when repentance pours out of you. True sorrow will start to well up from the depths of your soul. But to reach this point, you really do have to press hard past the petitions of the moment and into God. I wish that I could say that this was a common aspect of my prayer, but the truth is I rarely extend that deep into Him.

I've also noticed it with corporate prayer times. Most of our prayer meetings are the requests of the people and the church, which is understandable. But for those few times when the church actually spends significant time in prayer, I've noticed that a breaking occurs and prayers of repentance start pouring out.

I write this as a challenge today to give yourself the time to break past the usual prayers and allow His Spirit to bring you into a place of repentance. Because as II Corinthians 7:10 states, this is when salvation appears and regret, that great roadblock to advancing the kingdom, is knocked out of your life. We are not meant to live a 'sorry' life - and this sorrow only gets flushed out when you get deep into true repentance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this.