Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Person or the Preference

Last Sunday I faced a dilemma: my 4th grade son Luke was playing in the semi-finals of his travel basketball league. I love basketball. He and I spend hours working on drills in the driveway and he's a lot of fun to watch. Even at his age (I'm bragging) he works harder than most of the college teams I used to coach.

But . . . at the same time my 6th grade daughter was having a clarinet recital. Hmmmm.. . . . . . (picture me holding my hands up as if weighing the options).

You know what? I went to the recital. Not because I'm such a great dad. Not because of any great reason, except this: I love my daughter more than I love basketball. It's that simple. The person in my life is greater than my preferences.

I hope you love your brother more than you love a praise song. Or a hymn. Or style of music. Or the drums. Or not the drums. Or stained glass.

As I stated in the last post, we are never to sacrifice the truth for our brother. But preferences? They have to be cast aside so we can worship as one.

No comments: