Thursday, January 15, 2009

That's Not Who I Am!!!

(Said in the voice of Jack Bauer):

The following took place between 6:45 and 6:50 on Christmas Morning:


Tom: (taking things out of his stocking) Hey, why did you get me lady's deodorant?

Ruth: That's what I always see you using.

Tom: I'm a man.

Ruth:

Tom: Seriously, why did you get me lady's deodorant?

Ruth: I thought it was what you liked to use.

Tom: I only use it because I'm too lazy to buy my own.

Ruth: Well how was I supposed to know that?

(Long pause)

Tom: I am a man, you know.

Ruth: You don't smell like one.

Tom: I hate you.

Ruth: There are Peanut Butter Cups at the bottom of your stocking.

Tom: I love you.


-------------------------------------

Here's the point: You can say what you want about yourself, but people only know what they see. For the past few years I've used Ruth's deodorant because I'm too lazy to buy my own. It's not her fault that she thinks I like to use it - I use it!

We like to think that we're someone different deep down. I'm really not this cranky. I'm really not this cynical. I'm really not this un-loving. I'm really not this lazy. I really don't cave in this easily to things.

BUT - that argument gets old pretty quickly if you live a life that shows something else. We can make these grand claims to ourselves all we want, but the life that is lived out long enough reveals who we really are.

I think this is why Henry IV part I is my favorite Shakespearean play. Hal knows he's someone different - a prince - even while he messes around with Falstaff and that useless, self-centered lifestyle. The reason I love this play is that eventually the king emerges from the crap. This is how we like to think of ourselves, eventually the king will emerge from the crap. BUT - - we often give ourselves too much credit and continually live out the life that is mediocre. If that's the case, then we ARE mediocre, there is no emerging king. You live long enough in a certain way, and before you know it your wife is buying you lady's deodorant.

We need to quit fooling ourselves.


By the way . . . . . I am a man.

3 comments:

Matt Chewning said...

haha. Thats great.
However, I bet you smell very pretty most of the time.

jjmast said...

Strong enough for a man -- but made for a woman.

TDags said...

Funny followup to this story- I told it in chapel at the school I teach at and the next day some parents brought me an Old Spice speed stick.