Thursday, January 22, 2009

Strength That Matters

Psalm 62:11,12 "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that You, O God, are strong, and that You, O Lord, are loving."

I went with our Young Adult group (I'm not a young adult, just the 'leader') to the Fiction Family concert at the Paradise last night. Yes, I went clubbing! Been a long, long time. It was an awesome experience and there's something about the depth to which Jon Foreman writes that really seems to hit me.

First, though, just a quick note to those who went with me: Quit referring to me as the chaperone!!
And to my wife: You know that little game you were playing where you would try to count the guys that were older than me? Not amusing.

Anyway, Jon Foreman has a beautiful song called "Your Love is Strong" and I assume it's based on Psalm 62:11,12 (and the Lord's Prayer). If you haven't heard it, download it now. It speaks to one of the aspects of God that helps me more than anything else: He loves me and He can do something about it.

When I was a freshman in high school, I somehow angered a junior to the point where he wanted to beat me up. (I must have been a wise-guy back then). One of my brothers was also a junior, and he cared about me, but he wasn't strong enough to help me. Another brother was a senior, and had the strength to take care of this kid, but he didn't really care enough about me to do anything about it. In the end, I got beat up.

We don't have to get beat up. God cares about us and can do something about it!! His love is strong. Seriously, is that not the greatest thing you've ever heard? He not only can get you out of the dark and into the Light, but He desires to do that because He loves you.

On another note, I also find it interesting in Psalm 62 that David says God spoke one thing, but he heard two things. How does that relate to our reading of Scripture? Can I get multiple meanings out one of His words? Is that reading too much into what David is saying?

1 comment:

dave said...

solid stuff dr dagley. i love this thought as well.