Friday, January 23, 2009

Parking Lot Prayers

John 21:21,22 "When Peter saw him, he asked, 'Lord, what about him?' Jesus answered, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow Me.'"

After my sister-in-law died of cancer, I was driving in the car with my brother when we heard someone on the radio talking about praying for a parking space, and finding it!! Yeah for you!! You got a parking space with a two second prayer. We had just spent a year in intense, tearful prayer meetings, imploring God to save the life of a beautiful, productive, God-fearing, Christ-loving young mother of 2 small children . . . and she died.

But hey - you got your parking space! Who am I to begrudge you that?

I remember looking over at my brother and wondering what in the world was going on in his head. But he never showed anger, he never questioned God (at least out loud) and he never wavered in his faith. He just kept plugging away. He never said, "That's not fair."

Then I really started thinking and I came to the conclusion: it's not up to me to determine the story of other people, because I have no idea what is really going on between them and God. When Peter was being reinstated by Christ, instead of just sticking to his own business and rejoicing in the fact that he had just been forgiven, he started questioning Jesus about John's story. Jesus basically told him to keep out of it. If He wants John to live another 100 years, so be it. You follow Me.

I get it. In my selfish nature I don't always agree with it, but I do think I understand it. Everyone has their own story with Christ, and if Mr. X's involves finding a parking space by firing up a desperate prayer to God because he needs a gallon of milk, then okay. If my brother's story involves persevering through that trial . . . . . then what can I do but shut my mouth and follow Christ?

I don't love the concept of parking lot prayers, but I am overwhelmed by the reality of a God who loves me and is working my story out for His glory. In big things and small. In cancer and in a parking lot.

1 comment:

dave said...

hey man,

really good post. i have been thinking about this lately as i am wondering how much God actually dips his divine hand to answer so many of our meaningless prayers when there are people really suffering out there. i don't have an answer, but i think this is a good way of thinking about it.