Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Down Comforter

Judges 5: 28 - 30 "Through the window peered Sisera's mother; behind the lattice she cried out, 'Why is his chariot so long in coming? Why is the clatter of his chariots delayed?' The wisest of her ladies answer her; indeed she keeps saying to herself, 'Are they not finding and dividing the spoils: a girl or two for each man, colorful garments as plunder for Sisera?'"

Once in awhile we need to remember the truth of the battle we are in. It's a battle against evil that is destructive and desperate, and there is no good thing in it.

Think of the story of Sisera's mother. He has been battling the Israelites, but as you read Judges 4 you realize that he is not coming home, that his head has been nailed to the tent floor by Jael. But his mother doesn't know this and is waiting for him, looking through the window for her beloved son. What comforts her as she waits? "Don't worry - he'll be home soon. He's probably just raping a couple of women and destroying innocent lives. Relax." Whew! That makes me feel better. Thanks, you truly are a magnificent comforter, one that I can wrap myself up in and feel warm and cozy.

In other words, her comfort was found in his evil nature. That is the world unmasked, brothers, and we better recognize that before we start to play around in it. It is a hideous and grotesque evil that left unchecked would go to places that would horrify us - and destroy us without a second thought.

Compare that with our Comforter. The Holy Spirit brings peace and encouragement. He picks us up when we're down, even praying our prayers for us with groans that words cannot express when we've reached the end of our strength. He is the pure essence of God dwelling within us and is like a fresh breeze and cool water running through our body.

But the world is not like this. It is a putrid cesspool that finds comfort in rape and murder. Submit to the Holy Spirit, the true Comforter, right now, and you can advance as the aroma of Christ against this stench. Play with the world, and be prepared to be devoured by it.

"Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world." I rest in this truth and I would love to just write humorous ramblings all the time. But once in awhile I need to be reminded about the true heart of the world that in my flesh I am constantly drawn to, one that finds comfort in rape and murder.

1 comment:

Tim said...

crazy... I am reading in Judges and I just read that same passage yesterday. Right on dude. Your post made me think of Romans 7:18 "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not."