Tuesday, January 27, 2009

More Rambling Church Thoughts

I was listening to a sermon from a pastor who said that he threw away all his commentaries and only reads his Bible, and that's what we should do. I see his point, but why would I then listen to another word that he said, being that he's simply a verbal commentary.

Why do people tend to fill in the worst swear possible when they see that one has been deleted in a sentence? Seriously - does that say something about where our mind would go if we let it? (And you know you do it!)

I once threw a dime into the back pocket of a co-worker as he walked away from my desk. I don't know why, but I'm still very impressed by that.

I hope whoever invented the Cheeto is sitting on a tropical beach somewhere. He deserves it. (I say "he" because I can't imagine any scenario where a woman would invent such a completely debilitating food product.)

For reasons unknown, I once put a peach pit into my nephew's diaper. My brother and his wife apparently spent the rest of the day trying to figure out just what their kid had eaten.

The people of this world often have greater expectations about the success and fulfillment of their mindset than Christians seem to.

I know I'm immature, but Psalm 78:39 never fails to make me laugh. (The NIV translation) Because that's all we really are: Butt Flesh

Christians are like the moon, either waxing or waning. There's no place of non-growth or non-decay. We're always moving in one direction.

Sometimes, when reading the story of Pentecost in Acts 2, I can't help but think that it wasn't so much the gift of tongues that the disciples received, but the "gift of ears" that the gathered crowd received, each hearing Peter's words in their own language.

I've often thought that if I had one wish I would like for everyone to feel about me the exact same way that I feel about them. If I loved them, they loved me with the same intensity. If I didn't want anything to do with them, they would avoid me, etc.

But now I really wish I had the gift of healing. There are so many hurting people out there. Just to be able to touch them and alleviate their pain. . . .

The only time I saw my brother say, "that's not right" after his wife died was when he heard of a friend who was leaving his wife and children. He couldn't comprehend it. He said, "I would have done anything to keep Jan and keep our family together. And he's just walking away." He's right. Fight harder.

I heard a good sermon illustration the other day. The guy said that we tend to view God like the man who's hired to clean up after the elephants at the circus. He follows the elephants around all day, picking up the poop that they drop behind them, like a Holy Pooper Scooper. But at some point, we've got to stop pooping.

I once had to go to the hospital because I got a bacterial infection from a cat scratch. My brother called to see how I was doing and they told him that I was listed in "Fair Condition." He asked how a serious illness could actually UPGRADE me from my normal condition. He's a very funny man.

I'm going to say this one more time: you can escalate or defuse almost any situation that you're in, and you know it.

I love I Samuel 30:24 "The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike." God's fairness is not the same as ours. Of course it isn't. Because we aren't fair.

3 comments:

Ambroceo99 said...

I don't know what I did wrong, but my original comment didn't post. I don't want to ramble on here, but as much as I love Cheeto's, I can't get that pooping elephant out of my mind. Hideously gross.

Tim said...

I have thought about your first random thought too... I think the best way to approach commentaries is how the Bereans approached Paul... basically to not take their word for it but to see if those things be true according to the scriptures. Still recognizing that they are helpful.

Ha. I am gonna remember the peach pit prank.

TDags said...

Tim - I have come to the same conclusion (regarding commentaries, not peach pits). One of the most pivotal periods of my life was when I tossed all commentaries and just read the Bible (one without any notes - even cross references). But then I slowly added back in ones that I trusted and found to be Biblical, still checking them with the Word.

Thanks for the comment.