Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What the #$%@@!

Admit it - I got you. You filled in the blank on the title of this blog with a very bad swear word, didn't you? Maybe even 'that' word? I know you did. That's what we Christians do! We know all the words, they're in our heads, and we use them internally when the time is right. So . . . where do we go with the whole Christian and swearing thing when we use them in our minds all the time?

What triggered this conversation in my head is an email I recently received from a former student who is on a long-term foreign trip. Within this email - which was sent to many friends, family and former teachers - was "that word." You know - the one you used to fill in the blank above. It made me wonder why this person did it. I never heard them use it before they went off to college. I was bothered, but only in the sense that this person has a great relationship (and I assume respect) for these teachers on the email chain, yet used a word (several times) that was clearly offensive to them. Why couldn't they at least have the respect not to use it?

That's one of my biggest problems with swearing. Let's face it, they're just words. My 4-year old daughter can put the same sounds together - it's not that challenging. It certainly isn't difficult to do and it is not really that impressive a feat. But when people use these words, they act as if they've just done something incredibly rebellious or brave, when it's really neither. It clearly shows a lack of respect to the listener. It is an extremely self-centered action. "I can say this word with the attention of offending you!" That is my biggest problem - the disrespect to the other person.

Also, these words are really just cultural anyway. Today's catchphrase is tomorrow's curse. One hundred years from now, "poop" will have replaced "s--t" - so that generation will have to come up with a new one. Because we all like to refer to it - so we'll always have a word for it, won't we? So not only is it immature, it's really only cultural-specific.

But is swearing really that much of a Christ-killer in my life?

Yes . . . and no. Profanity for the sake of profanity is just immature and useless. Profanity to express anger or fear or any extreme emotion is a different matter. I don't use the bad ones, but the ones I use get the same point across, and the emotion in my heart is the exact same. "Man!" "Crap!" "Son of a gun!" "You're such a jerk." "You stink!" (Ummm... I'm starting to realize that I have a LOT of these.) As a Christian, what do I do with all of this? I'm not talking about filthy language - that's clearly unscriptural. Ephesians 5:4 says, "Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place." Let's not kid ourselves. The filthy language and dirty jokes are clearly unacceptable in the Christian walk. Christ simply does not speak or think this way and if we are walking in the Spirit, we won't either.

But what about the general use of swears? I think we know the answer: Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." The language we use matters. It cannot be the coarse language of the world, and it all begins with a transformed mind. We are not called to be cultural Christians, we're called to be those who are separated, able to sound a distinct note. If we, as Christians, continually use the common language of the world, the notes are blurred and we cannot be an effective witness.

I Corinthians 14: 7,8 "Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?"

That's what it boils down to for me. I don't want to get in the 'legalism' of which words are acceptable and unacceptable, or the 'freedom' of what I can say because I'm FREE. When I have these arguments, I'm revealing my self-centeredness. We're called to be distinct for one reason: So that the lost can find the light of Christ. If we are cultural blenders, that will be impossible. Purity of thought which leads to purity of language is one of those distinctions. As long as we don't use it in our 'rate the Christian' game, this can be another effective witnessing tool.

As always, the question is, "What is your motive?" Why do you swear? A bad habit? For effect? To show that you can? Prayerfully bring these questions before the Lord and I believe that He will show you that, as usual, you need to stop thinking of yourself and get your eyes on the hurting of this world. Our language ability is a gift for others. The tongues given at Pentecost were for those who were listening, not for the speaker. Everytime tongues is mentioned, it's clearly shown as a gift for the hearer. And just as we tend to make tongues a self-centered exercise in spiritual pride, we do with the opposite extreme of swearing.

No comments: