Monday, March 3, 2008

Are U2 Well Hidden?

A couple of years ago, a student of mine came up to me all excited. He had the new U2 cd and was showing me something hidden in the cover - it was a verse! "Isn't that awesome!" I can't remember exactly what it was, but the kid was right - if you looked hard enough, you could see it in there. Then he played me some of the songs and told me about their references to Christianity.

Now, before I say how I felt about this, I have to tell you that I am a huge U2 fan - for their music and their message. I have every cd and still listen to them all the time. But as he was showing me these things, I got a real check in my spirit. This poor kid was so desperate to find some sort of Christianity in his favorite artists, that he would settle for their hidden verses and song meanings that may or may not be alluding to spiritual matters. I honestly hurt for him. It shouldn't be that hard!

What's with the hide-and-seek game that Christian artists are playing? One of the big questions we have is just what does Bono believe. Is he a born-again Christian or not? If so, why is he shrouding it in speeches of "spirituality" and not the Cross? Why do our Christian kids have to dig so hard to find these things - and often make up something where it doesn't even exist?

Don't get me wrong - I don't believe our artists need to be singing "Jesus Loves Me" all the time and shouting about every facet of their faith. I love symbolism, I love parables, I love when Christ is put subtly into their lyrics as they sing about every day life. Not every song has to be a praise and worship song. (Jon Foreman's new cds are a great example of how to do this right.) The art can be nuanced, but the artist himself shouldn't be playing hide-and-seek with their faith. Never is a Christian called to try to look like a tare to win the tares. And our kids shouldn't have to play the "is he or isn't he" game.

This reminds me of the story of Elijah and Obadiah in I Kings. When the famine came, the prophet Obadiah hid in a cave and the prophet Elijah was brought to the brook to feed on God. Elijah was then able to stand on the mountain top of Carmel and call down the fire of God, while Obadiah stood quietly by, not wanting to expose himself to the world. Those who want to blend into the mountain, thinking that they can quietly effect change in the world without revealing who they are, will forever remain in the mountain. Those who are willing to publicly align themselves to Christ will stand on the mountain-top with Him, for all to see. There will be no hidden messages, no allusions to Christianity - there will be Christ and all those are with Him.

I personally think U2 is too well hidden to effect true Kingdom change. World change? They may accomplish that, and there is some good to be found in this. But the only change that ultimately matters is eternal change, and that comes when Christ is lifted high and we are willing to stand with Him.

U2 is well hidden, whether they want to admit it or not. The fact that we have the conversation speaks for itself.

No comments: