Friday, March 28, 2008

Cranky

I am convinced that certain people go through life 'cranky.' I know I have serious bouts of crankiness. It's an interesting personality trait, because it's so hard to explain. What does it mean to be 'cranky'? It's not simply bitterness - it's more of a way of life.

But as with all ways of life, it can be broken. Crankiness is like a 'thud' in your heart that colors how you respond to everything. A request. An inconvenience. A slight. A compliment. When you step into a situation that is not exactly how you want it - bam! You react in a way that reveals your selfishness. Because that's what crankiness really is - selfishness.

I know - I'm a cranky person. And I hate it. It's the one thing that I fight against the most in my life. I don't want to be one of 'those' people.

So how do you break 'cranky'? By having a heart at peace. As Proverbs 14:30 says, 'a heart at peace gives life to the body.' Cranky is a death walk through life. Bones creaking. Destroying yourself and those around you - at least those who are willing to remain around you, because a cranky walk usually ends up being a solitary walk.

God can change a personality. Really - He can.

No comments: