Friday, May 14, 2010

The Mean Christian Life

"Let your gentleness be evident to all . . .. "

What has happened to the gentleman Christians? I see over and over in Scripture the call for the Christian man to be gentle - to have a sweet spirit that is contrary to the striving, competitive, arrogant spirit of the natural man. But I don't see it. I see mean Christians throughout the churches.

I understand foolish. I even understand weak. But I don't understand mean.

Part of the problem for men is that anger and meanness are almost seen as badges of honor. Lust can never be admitted to. But anger? That's a sin men will confess in any small group because it sounds strong. Lust sounds weak, and it takes a humble man to pour that out before his friends.

But again, anger is strong, and they will then be able to excuse their meanness as a by-product of that anger. I don't get it. The fruit of the Spirit and the commands from the Scriptures all call for a gentle, calm, humble Christian man to step out from the mean and nasty way of the world. A gentle spirit will shine like a light in the darkness.

The mean Christian man and woman is simply not walking in the Spirit, but in the flesh.