Friday, May 7, 2010

Being There

Luke 7:7 "That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to You. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. "

The centurion in Luke 7 understood the reality of who Christ was -that's why Jesus commended his faith. He understood that Jesus didn't even have to be under the roof of his house to heal his servant - that He simply had to say the word and it would be done. He understood that the authority of Christ was immersed in this world and that His physical presence was unnecessary.

However - I believe that Christ demands that we go into the funerals and touch the coffins. (see previous post) We cannot simply stand off from a distance and pray and hope that lives will be touched and changed. We need to go into these places.

I remember being called to go to a home that I didn't really want to go to. I sat in my car and prayed to God, "You are the God of all of the universe, can't you simply hear my prayer right here and fill that house with your presence and healing?" I could feel God speaking into my heart: Yes, I could do that - but you must go. You must enter into that home. That's the plan. We are how He enters these homes. We bring Him with us, and there's something about our physical presence in these places of hopelessness and darkness that matters. Sometimes our ministry is simply being there.

The authority of Christ is invasive and immersed in all Creation. WE are that invasion and immersion. Let's enter into these funerals. Let's reach out in tears and touch these coffins.

No comments: