Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Firing All the Chambers

I just finished reading Oswald Chambers for this morning and I was really touched by this passage. It was perfect timing, because to be honest - I'm exhausted. Physically and spiritually. So this was a good word:

"Exhaustion means that our vital energies are completely worn out and spent. Spiritual exhaustion is never the result of sin, but of service. Whether or not you experience exhaustion will depend on where you get your supplies. Jesus said to Peter, "Feed My sheep," but He gave him nothing with which to feed them ( John 21:17 ). The process of being made broken bread and poured-out wine means that you have to be the nourishment for other people’s souls until they learn to feed on God. They must drain you completely— to the very last drop. But be careful to replenish your supply, or you will quickly be utterly exhausted. Until others learn to draw on the life of the Lord Jesus directly, they will have to draw on His life through you. You must literally be their source of supply, until they learn to take their nourishment from God. We owe it to God to be our best for His lambs and sheep, as well as for Him."

I agree with this, and am encouraged. Until people learn to feed off Christ it may be necessary for them to feed off of us as we lead them to Him. Obviously it can be extremely draining. But it is a great work. A meaningful and eternal work.

I am reminded that if I am to be this source for them, then I need to make sure I am feeding off my Source so that I can have something to offer. This releases me to "fire all the chambers" - be broken and poured out for others, holding nothing back. Christ will fill me, He will give me what I need for the hurting. Every day that I open the jar, there will be oil for the day.

1 comment:

ellen said...

That was a great passage, Tom. So true and so encouraging.