Friday, February 5, 2010

Authority - A New Message

Do you honestly believe that change can occur in your life? In the lives of those around you? I think we speak one thing but really, if we're honest, live out something completely different.

Mark 1:27 "The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, 'What is this? A new teaching - and with authority."

When Christ began His ministry - things actually started to happen in the lives of people. Blind people could see, the lame walked . . . you know the story. Lives actually changed, physically and spiritually. Because of this, it seemed like a "new teaching." I tend to think that if we lived a life of faith and our life changed radically, along with those around us, it would seem like a "new teaching" in this culture as well. Why? Because I don't believe we really believe our own message!

When did Christ ever do nothing? Only in two situations: among the hypocritical leaders and in the towns that didn't believe.

Mark 6:5,6 "He could not do any miracles there, except lay His hands on a few sick people and heal them. And He was amazed at their lack of faith."

We need more childlike faith. My kids actually believe that I can do what I tell them I'm going to do. When they ask if we can do something and I say, "Maybe" they cheer! They even have great expectations on a "maybe." Think about that! We don't even have expectations on our Father's "Will."

A prayer I like to recite each morning is Psalm 5:1-3:
"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You I pray. In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation."

I love this. Instead of "raising" our prayers to Him, we "raise" our expectations to Him, to His authority to accomplish change in our lives. This type of prayer will seem like a new message in this age of mediocrity and compromise.

Starting now I'm going to have a simpler faith - a faith that expects things to start happening in me and around me.

No comments: