Monday, November 16, 2009

Three Years of Best Days

Psalm 84 "Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere."

Do we really believe this? Is one day, one moment in the presence of God, worth three years of our best days? Think of a great day for you. A financial breakthrough. Romance - the best date ever. A vacation day that without planning became a day to remember. A sports achievement or victory. The day your baby first smiled at you (and you knew it wasn't just gas).

One day in His presence blows ALL of that away.

Do I really believe that? Is one moment with God really better than a thousand of those moments? I think I do believe it. I think that those glimpses He gives us break through our spirit and are so transcendent and beyond explanation that they render any earthly experience almost meaningless in comparison. But these moments also make our earthly experiences even more meaningful.

The problem is that we are so stuck in the world that we miss this. We must be convinced that it is the best way. That this boat we're climbing (or being pulled) into is more than just salvation to an eternity with God, but to the best possible life now. I'm not talking the way prosperity preachers mean it, I mean that we must be convinced that the life following God, filled by His Spirit, is the best way to pilgrimage through this world.

I get a little tired of hearing testimonies that make it sound like someone was having a blast and then they got saved. You know the ones that I mean: "I was drinking, messing around, doing what I wanted to - then I found Jesus!" You know what the kids hear when people say this? "I was having a fun doing all the things of the world then Jesus came and put an end to it. Now I'm a Christian"

Three years of my best worldly days can't compare with a moment in His presence. I truly believe that and seek that moment with all of my heart. That matter is now settled and it changes how I approach every moment here on earth. I can redeem these moments instead of enduring them.

"One thing I ask for, this is what I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life . . ." Psalm 27:4

"Earth has nothing I desire besides You." Psalm 73:25

No comments: