Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Things That Make You Go Hymn. . . . . .

More rambling church thoughts as I prepare for a Music Commission meeting tonight and try to avoid the "Worship Wars":

Psalm 144 says to sing a new song on the ten-stringed lyre. Seriously, how far off the worship track would that throw some people that I know. Bang a few cymbals while you're at it, as the psalm says.

I'm always challenged by the phrase "a new song." When you stand up to give you testimony, is there something fresh that the Lord has spoken to you or is it a recounting of something that happened a month, a year, or ten years ago? I experienced this the other night at church. While preaching about the presence of God, I told a story of an experience I had with Him - that happened 7 years ago!! This made me stop and think: Where are my new experiences?

When someone says, "to make a long story short" I say in my head, "Too late!"

What if you're good at something you don't really like doing? I remember when an All-Pro football player retired at an early age and all the critics blasted him. His response? "I don't like playing." Their response, "But you're good at it!" I sometimes feel that way about __________________. But I press on because people say I'm good at it. Why?

I was watching a football game the other day when my wise-guy son kept leaning his head in front of me, blocking my view. I started to get mad, when I realized that this 7-year old was of greater value to me than 11 muscleheads that I've never met. I shut off the game and went out and played in the backyard with him. (Actually . . . . DVR'd the game - I'm not that self-sacrificing).

Speaking of Josh, he was really sick the other day. I went up to his room and asked him if he wanted something to drink. In a quiet voice, he said, "Yes, please." I realized that sickness knocks all the wise-guy out of a person. It's helpful to understand this concept when you're witnessing. When people are hurting, their arrogance goes out the window. They allow you to serve them, which is a huge step in leading them to Christ.

I have officially anointed myself as "The World's Worst Pastor" when it comes to the worship problem. I simply don't care. Really - I don't care. You could rejoice in silence, with Gregorian chants, easy listening or rap songs and I'd think, "Good for you." Again - I DON'T CARE.

Once, when I had to let an employee go, he referred to me as a "meathead." He called the person who took his job a "vulture." We've debated it ever since. Which is worse? A meathead means you're inherently inept. A vulture means you have bad intentions. Years later, we're still trying to figure out who got the worst insult. I believe he did, but he's a bad person. I'm just stupid.

In I Samuel 26 Saul once again tells David that "he's sorry." But David does not cross the valley to see him. He sends his servant. When I read this, I ask the question, "At what point do we entrust ourselves to someone who hurt us?" Even after repeated repentance, Saul has not changed and David knows it. He will not be hurt again. But the true goal of forgiveness is reconciliation, as God did with us. He crossed the valley. I don't know the answer to my question. Like I said above - I'm just rambling. But it's an important one to figure out.

In I Kings 19, when Elijah is depressed, God doesn't do anything at first but feed him. Twice. Think about that the next time you encounter someone in depression. Don't you dare say, "Snap out of it."

I've been listening to the new Derek Webb cd, "Stockholm Syndrome." What a great title - when the captives start identifying with their captors. It's a little different than his other cds, which I love. I consider him to be somewhat a prophet to the church and I would love to find out how we can get him to Boston.

The following three jokes always work:

1. "Did you hear about the corduroy pillows?" "No? I'm surprised, they're making headlines."

2. Knock Knock
Who's there?
I'm a stinking pileup . . . . . . .

3. What do you call a dog with no legs? Anything you want, he's not coming.


Enough fooling around - it's time to get to my Worship Commission meeting and talk about how worship needs to be defined and manipulated and dissected and discussed and programmed and adapted to EVERY SINGLE PERSON sitting in the church . . . . .

Sorry - thanks for letting me vent.

No comments: