Monday, August 25, 2008

I Want It All - And I Want It Now

Deuteronomy 7:22 "The LORD your God will drive out those nations before you, little by little. You will not be allowed to eliminate them all at once, or the wild animals will multiply around you."

Hebrews 10:14 ". . . because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."

I love finding sister verses in the OT and the NT. They really help you understand what's going on in each case. In Hebrews 10 and Deuteronomy 7, there is a thought that I find very comforting and challenging: God has covered me, but within the covering He is hammering me into victory.

In Deuteronomy 7:22, God tells the Israelites (through Moses) that the land is theirs. The borders have been established and when they go in, they will inhabit the entire land in victory. But not right away - they will grow into the already accomplished victory little by little, because in their immature state they simply could not handle having this victory all at once.

He says the same thing in Hebrews 10:14. He has made us perfect, forever, yet though He sees us in this complete victory, with our borders already established, He will hammer away all the imperfections and unholiness. Our complete victory will be accomplished like the Israelites entering into the Promised Land - little by little. Enemies will be defeated, but in a process, because we simply could not handle "having it all."

This thought helps me with my frustration in this life. I want complete victory NOW. I pray and plead for it, but God, who already has established my borders, is causing me to grow into them. He is knocking out things in a steady process, and though it may be painful, it is the best possible way for me. It allows me to rest in Him on a daily basis, trusting in Him, feeding off of Him, relying on Him for everything.

I want it all, and I want it now. But God knows better and so while I sit under His covering of perfection, I allow Him to beat the unholiness out of me, little by little.

No comments: