Monday, March 1, 2010

A Failing Grade 66.7%

Mark 3:13 "Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to Him those He wanted, and they came to Him. He appointed twelve - designating them apostles - that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons."

Two out of three ain't bad. Well, actually, yes it is.

I'm speaking of my own life, and by missing the third element, I'm feeling the failing. When Jesus called His apostles, there were three things He was putting into play:

1. That they would be with Him. I think, at least in my limited but growing faith, I have this. I desire to spend time with Him and I do, for the most part.

2. To preach. Check. I do this - most of us do this in life and words.

3. To have authority to drive out demons. Here's where I think most of us fall short. I'm not saying that we're constantly confronted by demon-possessed people, although we may be surprised to know the truth when the veil is lifted. What I am thinking is that we are spending time with Christ, telling others about Him, but completely lacking in the authority that changes lives, that brings healing to the oppressed, that knocks down the gates of hell.

By missing this third element, I think we're failing. Where I teach, 2 out of 3 is a failing grade. you need a 70% to pass. We need to push through to this third part, the authority and power of Christ in our own lives to "drive out demons" and the power of the Christ to enter into the lives of others and bring them out of the darkness and into the light.

It's not like there's an Activation Switch that suddenly turns on this power. It comes from faith - truly believing that the same power that raised Christ from the dead resides in us. The same authority that confronted demons and cast them out of people is upon us. The same Name that is above all other names is written on our foreheads. The fullness of God is within us.


I John 5:4 "For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."

Step out today with the faith and the expectation that your life can be truly transformed, and the you can have authority to bring this life-changing Power into the lives of others.

2 comments:

dave said...

good stuff brotha. i was thinking about this the other day as well. i have been lacking this crucial aspect of discipleship.

mom to 4 said...

Nicely said! Just what I needed this am