Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bi-Focal Ministry

I hate growing old. I hate the fact that I can't see up close or far away anymore, that whatever object I'm looking at has to be the perfect distance away or I have to use either my near-sighted glasses or my far-sighted glasses. I haven't yet resorted to bi-focals, but I know that they're coming.

In ministry, I'm really having trouble with this concept. I have people on the 'outside' and my heart on the 'inside' hammering away at the big pictures in the Kingdom - things like racial reconciliation, abortion rights, family values, etc. Dave C. wrote a great post on his blog about the situation in Darfur and how the injustice is burning in his heart. This morning at breakfast, he felt like he brought some of the guys down with this discussion, but that's not true. It's the injustice in the world that brings us down. We need to be reminded of these things, that there are global problems brought on by man's sinful nature.

But on the other hand, most of the people I deal with are in need of something more short-term. Addictions, marriage problems, children run amok, relationships that are breaking their hearts, health issues that are killing them, money and job problems . . . . they can't see beyond the end of their noses and I'm having trouble discerning where my focus should be. Should I look at them or beyond them? Darfur or "I need a job."??

It's like I have two sets of glasses that I have to keep exchanging - the one that allows me to see further and the one that allows me to focus on the things right in front of me. It's hard to know when to take one off and put on the other. Honestly, I don't know how Jesus did it - solving the Big Picture while dealing with individuals. But here's the thing: He never left even one person by the side of the road while dealing with the "salvation of man." That's a good place to start.

1 comment:

dave said...

good stuff man. i have really appreciated your open and honest struggle with this. i am struggling with this as well.

this is why i appreciate our community. i can bring up something grandiose while forgetting about the things that are right in front of my nose. you guys bring me back down to earth while not discouraging me form caring about the things that i believe God has placed on my heart.

thanks man. good stuff, as usual.