Friday, April 3, 2009

The Man-hole Cover

I refuse to believe that we were created because there was a man-shaped hole in God's heart. I know some Christians who seem to believe that, and it affects their 'worship' of him. They act as if He needs them, as if somehow His inner fire is stoked by their songs, by the raising of their hands, as if he's a cat with an itch and their worship hits the spot for Him. "Oh yeah, that's right baby, that's what I'm talking about. Keep singing .. . . aaaaah, now that feels real good. I am soooooo glad I created you. These angels just can never get it right." And then he starts purring like a cat.

I know that sounds foolish, but is it that far from the truth? We battle on and on about how to worship Him, what it should look and sound like, what we should be dressed like - and I think we miss the whole point.

I don't know the point. I just know it's NOT that. God wasn't sitting in heaven and at some point in the eternity of time looked around and said, "I'm missing something. I think I'll create some worshipers. But I'll throw in a dose of free-will so it will have some sense of true emotion."

I just know that when I worship Him, I mean when it's not programmed and scripted and scheduled and directed - when I just worship Him - that it feels right. For me. What it means to Him? I don't know, I'll leave that up to Him to understand. I just can't imagine that I fill some man-shaped hole in His heart.

1 comment:

Tim said...

right on dude... right on... write on... write on :)