Friday, November 7, 2008

Other Than That Mrs Lincoln . . . . .

I'm not a political pastor, much to the chagrin of many of the people of my congregation. Though I can see the value of their beliefs on this, I just don't have it within me to be fighting political battles and I am not actively involved in any of the "lifestyle" agendas, for lack of a better term. I don't say this in a holier-than-thou way, honestly, but I feel that my main job as a shepherd is to be helping the hurting, not fighting the issues.

However, there is one thing I just have to get off my chest and then I'm sinking into the background again and it's this: I have a real problem with that one vote of Barack Obama that allows for babies that are alive after an abortion to die on the table. I know - we aren't supposed to focus on one issue, I've been told time and again all these things. I even agree to that argument to a point. I'm just having a real hard time making the separation of THAT VOTE and the man's inner understanding of life at its very basic and holy.

We've all heard the saying, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" In other words, let's ignore the assassination and talk about the other minor points of the evening. I feel that's what I've done with Obama, and it's what I've heard from others. "Other than that, how is his character?"

Other than THAT? THAT is a pretty big THAT and not just because I keep writing it in capital letters. A leader is a shepherd, and a shepherd's main responsibility is to look out for the weak, the helpless, the least of his flock. (Ezekiel 34) Who in Obama's flock is weaker than the unborn? THAT reveals who he really is, and THAT will affect every decision in every issue.

I don't want to get into the abortion argument, it's all been said and done. Here's what I believe: Those fighting against abortion are fighting for a life. Those fighting for it are fighting for a lifestyle. Believe me, I'm pretty settled on the difference. And anyone who is pro-choice at least has to understand that anti-abortionists feel that the stakes are higher for them, because they feel like they're fighting for a life. People always fight harder for a life than a lifestyle.

Anyway, this is my only point: If my leader has within him the ability to make that vote on that issue, if he can search his heart before a vote and still make that decision, then it's really hard for me to say, "Other than that Mrs. America how is your president?"

1 comment:

Ambroceo99 said...

I'm back.

Ok. I like throwing everything out into the open before making comments on political subjects, so let's start with this: I am Pro Life and I supported John McCain for President.

I love politics. One of the topics that always comes up during the Presidential season is abortion. I have always sided with a Presidential candidate that is Pro Life, but something about this topic recently has actually disturbed me as a Christian. This actually goes back to the last blog re: forgiveness and judging.

A young Christian who is not of age to vote recently said when hearing of someone voting for Barack Obama "you must be for abortion".

I agree with what Tom said. I personally don't know how a President can make the decisions he or she has to make if the basic concept of life is viewed in a manner such as intentional death through abortion.

But as a Christian, I am getting more and more upset with the way we react to others who may not fully understand why abortion is such a sensitive and important subject. We immediately judge the person who is voting for Obama. WHY? Is that what Christ taught us? I know I referenced a young Christian earlier, but that isn't my only example. We increasingly flag the "Republican" party as the Conservative Christian option. Again, why?

I voted for President Bush twice, so does that mean I supported the killing of men, women and children in Iraq? The war was going on when Bush ran for re-election, so all of us Pro Lifers voted for him again...seems inconsistent to me. Most wars are started under Republican Presidents. Is that what we as Christians represent? We are Pro Life (from a pregnancy perspective), yet are Pro Choice on wars (which results in deaths).

This year more than ever I found myself getting angry at the media as they said the candidates were fighting for the "conservative" vote. The "Abortion" topic was on the table, but there was also a candidate with tremendous experience for ending the war, yet struggled to get the conservative vote. WHY?

Here's where I am at now - we all need to collectively pray for this country, and the new administration. We need to show forgiveness, or at least not judge others who vote for Obama. We seem to be so vocal now that the election is over, yet none of us probably did anything leading up to Election Day anyways to make a difference. Is that how Christ would have spread his Word - by waiting until the process was over? We seem to be very proactive in being reactive, and I am really frustrated by that (myself included).