Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Big 162

As a teacher, I often struggle with the whole concept of grades. I want everyone to know, master and love the material. I want all "A's" - I'm not one of those teachers who seem to revel in giving bad grades. But I do realize that there has to be some of separation for those who are really trying or are naturally gifted. So I give tests, quizzes, projects etc at an ever-escalating pace to try to find that separation. I do this more for their sake than my own. I want them to know.

Part of me, as a teacher, feels that this is somewhat unnecessary, because really - life will ultimately end up separating the pretenders from the contenders. It always does.

As a pastor, I often struggle with this concept as well. I want everyone to know, master and love the 'material' - and by that I mean the spiritual. But I wonder who's really doing their homework, who is truly interested in excelling. I want everyone to get "A's" but I do realize that there has to be some kind of positive separation for those who are really trying or are supernaturally gifted. Again, more for their sake. It would be a terrible thing to live under a delusion of some surface commitment and faith in Christ, thinking all is not lost, when in fact it is.

But life will sort that out. The threshing floor of life is unrelenting and impartial and it will ultimately end up separating the pretenders from the contenders. It always does.

They say that in baseball, 162 games is the ultimate separator. Any team can have a good or bad stretch, but over 162 games these will even out, and the best team will end up on top. The weak team simply cannot sustain excellence over a long period of time.

Life is like that. It will find out who is serious about moving hard into God and who is in it for the temporary fix. It's not my place to be the judge of that. Those who are truly in Christ will persevere and give thanks. Those who are not of Him will be revealed for who they really are - it's not on us.

2 comments:

pete said...

just some thoughts.
I'm not really sure what to make of the idea that in the time span it takes to live life, that things such as a real faith in Jesus is revealed. i cant say i've ever thought about it, I'm not going to discredit it considering it came from someone with more life experience then me. its a thought to think about.
i have thought about it on the day to day basis though. i think that those in Christ will daily profess through words and actions the love they have for all that God has done for them. on the flip side, those who might proclaim a faith in God but not actually have that relationship, when faced with the same decisions to make throughout there day will often choose the one not pleasing to God. its true that the attitude of our heart does get revealed outwardly, no matter what we do to put on some sort of front.
as far as the topic of judging others, or trying to say whether or not some else has faith, this is something I'm still trying to process, I'm still trying to figure it out. maybe the aspect of the community of believers has something to do with it. if i am a child of God, and someone else calls them self a child of God, then that would make us brothers. in our new lives and or new family together we have been raised under the same father. we would have both learned the same core values from our father. so, when we are together, when we share thoughts and commune with each other, all of our questions, concerns, and thoughts all point to the same answer which will ultimately point to God our father.
in this, for now, I'm still convinced that in the relationship between a person and God, it is only there business. only God can know the condition of an individuals heart.
one more thought, kinda like math. if we as Christians are to become more Christ like unceasingly, and Christ is fully God, are we then becoming more Godly and in that, will gain a better understanding of the faith others have in Christ?

p.s. yes, i blog a lot, a real lot, but i need to, i really do.

TDags said...

No - you don't write too much. That's the point of this.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there seems to be many people out there with a surface faith, and it's not my place to make the separation. Time and the trials of life will reveal which is seed that has fallen of fertile soil and seed that fell in the rocks, withering and dying over a period of time.

Your point on 'brothers in Christ' is exactly what I'm talking about. This can be a battle and I really want to know who's truly in it with me. I don't mean to sound super-Christian with that statement, I know my own failings all too well.