Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Wet Blankety-Blank

Amos 7:7 This is what he showed me: The Lord was standing by a wall that had been built true to plumb, with a plumb line in his hand. And the LORD asked me, "What do you see, Amos?"

"A plumb line," I replied.

Then the Lord said, "Look, I am setting a plumb line among my people Israel; I will spare them no longer.

----------------------------------------------------------

I hate being the 'wet blanket' with people. I hate even more being it with myself. You know the 'wet blanket' - they're the one who makes you feel bad when you're having a good time.

But I really feel compelled to say this: I believe that our current Christian culture has embraced and engaged in compromises to the point that we can no longer even see them as compromises. I believe that if a holy plumb line was truly dropped in our lives right now, we'd be shocked and (hopefully) embarrassed at the amount of leaning into the world we have done.

The reason I say this is because of a simple fact of my life: whenever I'm deep into the Word and into God, I can tolerate less and less of the garbage. It actually pains me to watch some of these things and hear them in the music or read them in the magazine. However - whenever I drift away from Him, I can easily chew on and swallow these things. So you tell me - if you experienced that, what would your conclusion be?

Please note: just because we've allowed this drifting into the world, don't assume that God is okay with it, or that it's acceptable Christian behavior. Man's descent does not mean God's assent.

So every once in a while I write something along these lines. More for myself than anyone else. I need to be reminded that this isn't a game and that Satan is a destroyer. He is playing for keeps.

Sorry for being the wet blanket. Or more accurately, the wet blankety-blank. But I think if you're being honest, you know I'm right.

No comments: