Monday, May 5, 2008

The "E" Word

So - where does Evolution stand in today's Christianity? I know that a huge divide is forming that is threatening to overtake current issues such as poverty and war and politics. Why? Is the so-called "Battle for the Beginning" the most pressing concern that we as Christians have today? Is it even worth debating?

On the one hand, you have Bible 'literalists' who believe that 6 days means 6 days, and any deviation in that understanding will bring you to a slippery slope that could even wipe out the work of Christ.

On the other hand, you have the 'fossil record' and those who have been educated in evolution-as-fact, and anyone who deviates from that is merely simplistic and naive.

How in the world do you ever bring these two together? (Note: I'm not talking Christian/secularist - I'm talking Christian/Christian.) Can they be brought together? Is it worth even trying?

If you lose the beginning, have you lost it all? I think there is some validity to that thought. I think that's why often the Israelites went back to their formation as a nation when they were discouraged - they knew that they were divinely created, so they found the strength to continue despite failures. The fact that I know that I was divinely created from a divinely created species in Adam brings me great comfort in my trials. Throw in my new creation, and I can hurdle any wall that Satan throws in my path. The beginning does matter.

But what also matter is right now. If all we do is debate the beginning, we miss the present. And the present is where the hurting are, where the lost are, where the hungry are. Too much thought of yesterday causes us to lose today. I don't want to lose this moment, because it is within this moment that people are reaching out for help. They don't have the luxury of waiting for me to have my arguments about yesterday.

6 comments:

dave said...

evolution. how dare you bring this up?!?!

i affirm theistic evolution, as you know. i believe God to be the author and sustainer of Creation. I also believe that God uses evolutionary processes in Creation. should i be burned at the stake? haha!

good post. very thought provoking.

TDags said...

I am a literalist when it comes to the Creation story. I believe that we would be foolish to discount the evolutionary process since then. That's not an either/or thing. Not everyone looks like Noah! But I'm still not sure how much to separate over this issue or get upset about it.

Don't burn me at the stake of naivete!

Kara said...

Not to sound like too much of ENC's "EMES" class, but I get slightly upset when Christians fight each other on this issue as well.

Religion and science do not need to conflict at all. They should not be on opposite sides of the fence, and instead can be looked on as a team, one explaining spiritual truths, and one explaining scientific truths. Neither one attempts to explain the other.

Good post!

Anonymous said...

We are to "earnestly contend for the faith", since there will always be false teachers and false teaching in the church. How can we detect them unless we know the Scriptures and are filled with the Holy Spirit? The Word of God is eternal, it is powerful, sharper than a two-edged sword. Çan we say the same about a science book, which will probably be obsolete in ten years?

For those who think Genesis 1 is an allegory, what do you do with Exodus 20:8-ll? Do we have to work for millions of years before we get a rest?

Unknown said...

ah, a topic so close to my heart.

There are many things I can say but I would like to say that if we chose to believe we, as a people, evolved...then we are saying there is death before sin. Not looking at the "scientific" for a moment and going to the Word, the Hebrew word "yom" means "day"..."and the evening and the morning were the first day" Genesis 1:5.

I don't want to get into a debate because I believe people get very heated over these things. I do study this topic scientifically/archaeologically/Biblically and find the Word to be true. My thought is also that if one chooses to only look at one-sided research and not the other, that's when I have an issue. If you've explored both sides and still have the same beliefs, views...then I will logically debate someone.

To go in a different direction for a second...a friend at work told me that Jesus never said He was the Messiah...I then pointed out in the Scripture where He said it and my friend said "wow, i guess I'll have to look at that again"....

I don't believe the Evolution/Creation issue is detrimental to our salvation but I do believe that it's important to know that the WHOLE Word is God-breathed.

TDags said...

I will say this: Over the past 6 years I have preached through the OT in our Sunday night service once and am now working through it a second time. (Numbers at the moment). I've also taught it in school and read through it many times. (Please bear with what sounds like bragging - I'm really not - I just love the OT.)

So back to my point: having done all that, it really reads like it is to be taken entirely literal from start to finish. Jesus and Paul (through the Spirit) reiterate that countless times. Right or wrong - it reads literal - every story occurred exactly as written and the threads (the temple, the Sabbath, the creation and recreation) all weave together perfectly.

I don't know how that flies in the face of science, I'm just saying if you read it enough times, that's the feeling you get.