Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Lens of Mercy

Romans 12:1 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy . . . "

In Romans 11, Paul lays out such a difficult (and somewhat harsh) treatise on the rejection of Israel, their remnant, return and the place of the Gentiles, that he closes it with an prayer acknowledging the depth of God's wisdom. It's almost like he understands how hard his previous teaching was and then needs to make sure the readers can take a breath.

Then he begins his next thought with the amazing phrase: " . . . in view of God's mercy . . ."

His filtering system, how he views even the most difficult passages, is awesome. He sees these difficult preceding chapters and finds MERCY in them. When I first read them, I found judgment and election - neither which cause me to dwell on the mercy of God.

I think I'm going to start asking the Holy Spirit to help me read with the same filtering system as Paul. I want the ability to dive into the deep things of God, digging through all the dirt and rocks, and swimming to the surface clinging only to the jewel of mercy that I found amidst all rubble at the bottom of the murky sea.

When all is said and done, that's the only thing worth holding onto, this pearl of great price. Through all of the Bible studies, classes, commentaries, discussions (arguments?), business meetings, etc - it would be so refreshing if we all stepped away from them and were able to say, "Therefore, brothers, in view of God's mercy .. . ."

I can imagine the response. "That's what you got out of this? Mercy?"

That's the lens I want on my heart and mind. The Lens of Mercy.

No comments: