Friday, October 19, 2007

Truth Too Soon?


II Corinthians 10:5 "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Where have all the children gone? You know, the ones who were 'saved' when they were in Sunday School or Youth Group or at camp or whenever. They seemed to have faded back into the canvass of the world.

Was it a case of Truth Too Soon?

The Simple Truth: We are sinners, Jesus died for us, and by entering into an abiding relationship with Him we have eternal life in heaven and purpose on earth.

There are generally two paths that one can take when one finds the Simple Truth at an early age - questioning whether it is really the truth and looking into all other possible thoughts, or accepting that it is true and building upon that premise by going deeper into that truth. Both are valid responses to your initial acceptance of this truth.

I, for one, am glad that I chose to accept the simple truth and have spent my time digging deeper into the intricacies of it. As I have ripped apart every doctrine, searched into every corner of the Word, meditated on the implications of swallowing it whole - I have found it to be not only simply true - but deeply true as well. No matter how much you rip it apart, every strand holds. Old Testament stories and New Testament passages are perfectly meshed in every detail. The complexity supports the simplicity. II Corinthians 10:5 is very real to me - the arugments and pretensions of the world have been demolished by Christ as I dig deeper into Him and into His world.

But I do not deny the fact that these "pretensions" have an appeal. We have lost too many people to them. Others of my generation have received the Simple Truth but questioned all the side issues and thus got sidetracked. You almost wish that they had found the Truth when they were older and could appreciate the simplicity of what it offers to them right now, as they experience the real questions of eternity and purpose and hope within their current circumstances. A child isn't able to take the Simple Truth to these levels of real living, and when they have turned aside it is so hard to get them to come back.

But this is not going to stop me from praying for my own children to 'get it' at the earliest age possible. I just pray that after they get it, they will tunnel deeper into it and not spend their time circling it and ultimately getting lost in the emptiness of the world's arguments, which have temporay appeal but no eternal value.

I say this as sincerely (and hopefully as humbly) as I can: I have dug deep and have found the Truth to be secure. It's a nice place to rest.

No comments: