Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Movie Theater Holiness

It never ceases to amaze me how seemingly normal people (like myself) can enter into a movie theater and suddenly start tossing trash around like we've gone crazy. Popcorn bags are tossed to the floor, cups are left in the holder, candy wrappers are kicked under the seats . . . . . it's like we've created this little sphere in our life where the normal rules of cleanliness and littering don't apply.

I've come to realize that we do this in other areas of life as well, using similar rationalizations. We create little spheres of our life that allow us to justify actions that we clearly would never do under "normal" circumstances. The Workplace. Politics. Sports. It's a "Survivor" mentality. We can backstab, deceive, elbow someone in the teeth, push down someone so that we can rise to a greater position, and then say that "it's within the rules of the game." Never once stopping to think that these are rules that WE created.

I love sports and I truly understand the need for rules within these games, but let's never mistake these rules as God-created. In boxing, it's okay to hit someone in the face. Because I've created that rule.

I don't want to go too far down this road because I might find myself getting convicted of things that I enjoy doing. I would never want to have to confront a non Christ-like attitude or action that I have already created rules that justify it.

Movie Theater Holiness. It's a pretty neat way to live your life. You don't have to be a true disciple of Christ ALL the time. You don't have to be clean ALL the time. You can create your own little dark places and start throwing your trash around with complete justification, then walk away and let someone else clean up the mess.

1 comment:

dave said...

whew! very challenging my friend. nicely written.