Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Accustomed to the Desert

Jeremiah 2:23 - 25 "You are a swift she-camel, running here and there, a wild donkey accustomed to the desert, sniffing the wind in her craving - in her heat who can restrain her? Any males that pursue her need not tire themselves; at mating time they will find her. Do not run until your feet are bare and your throat is dry. But you said, "Its no use! I love foreign gods, and I must go after them!"

Does the world even have to try to take you in?

I think we're too easy. I think that we sniff at the world, not to find out how to help the lost, but because we are enthralled with it. We want it. They don't even have to try - any temptation and we're in.

The excuses we make when we fail are embarrassing. I Corinthians 10:13 says that there is no temptation that doesn't have a way out. The problem is we don't want the way out. We want the way in.

In the Lord's Prayer Christ tells us to pray: "Lead me not into temptation." This is very powerful and challenging, as He is in essence telling us to ask God to keep us away from the things that we love (from a worldly sense). To move out of the desert and quit being so weak. Every time we cave into a temptation every part of our being is weakened to the core. Our spiritual structure becomes more and more tenuous. In this weakened state, the next step in the progression is crumbling.

I hate being this easy. I hate being so "accustomed to the desert" that I never see beyond my self-imposed borders and head for the streams of living water.

No comments: