Thursday, October 16, 2008

Looking For Loopholes

John 14:6 "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

I would love some loopholes. I search the NT and look for one place where I could find that those who don't believe in Christ and truly receive Him as their savior can still have eternal life, can still "come to the Father." But I can't find one. Not even close. I don't say this facetiously, I really do wish that I could find some "out" for my unsaved friends and loved ones. What a burden that would remove from me - the burden for their soul and the burden of having to confront them with this inescapable fact: No one comes to the Father except through Christ. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son does not have life. You must be born again. To all who receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him. (these are all actual verses). I simply can't find that loophole.

There are other loopholes I wish I could find. Lifestyle loopholes. I really do wish that they were out there so that other people could have the "burden" of their natural desires rubber-stamped with a Divine "Okay." But let's face it, all the manipulating of Scriptures, the long essays of rationalization, the culturizing (?) of these difficult passages are really only tap-dances around the truth: these things are clearly stated as wrong and they are clearly seen from creation itself. There are rights and there are wrongs and we can do all the Scriptural dance moves we want, but it's just our natural man trying to justify something in our own life or in the life of someone we love.

I mean, really - who wants a loved one to be miserable in desires that are unscriptural? I certainly don't - I would love to find a loophole.

Read Romans 1 - the entire chapter, not just pulling out phrases. It can't be any clearer that ALL of these sins mentioned are sins. ALL of them - not just the ones we want for ourselves or our friends. Just because we can put a human face on them doesn't suddenly make them justifiable. Harder, yes. It's always harder when you put a human face on a scriptural admonition. But - it doesn't change the fact that these things are defined by God's creation, His word and the Spirit in our heart as sin.

4 comments:

pete said...

i share your burden for the unsaved friend. and i too long for them to accept the truth of God and to start living their lives in the faith of Jesus Christ. this is the epicenter of my longing however. simply that they DO get saved. i cannot say that i've ever wanted a loophole for them, however i do understand what you mean. it would be easier that way. I'm not very old and have really barely begun to live my life, but in the life experiences that i do have i've come to the conclusion that often times the easy way is never the right way. that the hard way, the right way, is more difficult at first but fully satisfying when completed. also, by staying in the practice of doing things the right way it becomes the only way, and in that sense, becomes easier over time.
personally, i see no value in using any energy to find a loophole to salvation. the right way, the only way is already clear as day so why not use my energy to start spreading the truth of the gospel as it is written. as a Christian, that is part of my responsibility, a burden if you will, to bring the salvation that is of God to the unsaved. and how could i want to bring them anything less then the truth? no matter how harsh the reality of salvation is, i couldn't possibly want to short change my friend by giving him a loophole when i myself have realized, experienced and accepted the real power of salvation that is from God. i wouldn't want any less for my friend then what i already have.
one more thought. something we discussed in Bible study over the summer was that being saved is not just your ticket to heaven. that is an awesome part of it but it is also a whole new way of life. on that note, in my efforts to bring salvation to an unsaved friend i don't just think they are gaining eternal security but also redirecting their life to face God and live a life pleasing to him.
in closing, as always i appreciate your honesty in the thoughts you share. by no means in my words do i aim to take away from your thoughts and replace my own. simply, by reading your words i am compelled to share my own honest thoughts. its just discussion between believers both trying to get things figured out, right?

TDags said...

Yeah - good comment Pete. I really don't mean that there need to be other ways, better ways, loopholes, in that sense. I'm basically saying that there ISN'T a loophole when it comes to salvation. And to those who truly come, there is no better way anyway - a relationship with God! I was more or less getting to the second point which was my main point: there are no loopholes, no matter how much you want them, for some of these sins and lifestyles that certain Christian friends want to lead.

I agree with you - I don't really spend my time looking for loopholes to salvation. I was just using it as a point that there isn't one, even if you wanted there to be one. Which I don't, because I love the Way.

dave said...

as you know, i have similar feelings.

this is so difficult for me. i don't believe people should have an easy out, and i know that's not what you mean, but i do wish that many people did not have more perceived barriers to get to God than you or i do. that's what is difficult for me.

thanks for the post man. it's not an easy topic.

Matt Chewning said...

Hi Tdags,

I appreciated your comments on Dave's last post. There has been a lot of talk about homosexuality and sin issues. Most of the attacks have come against scripture. However, I really enjoyed reading your comments.

You don't know me but I went to ENC w/ Dave and now live in NC. My wife and I are moving back in July to plant a church, most likely on the North Shore. I'd love to learn from you and hear about your journey with your church. My blog is www.chewningjourney.blogspot.com

Hit me up when you get a chance.
Matt Chewning