Wednesday, June 11, 2008

His Thoughts on Worship

I just got the final cd from Jon Foreman - the "Summer" session. I really like it - and not just because it has great music with great thoughts. I like it because in listening to it I've realized how much I've grown as a Christian.

I used to have a tendency to listen to music, read books, hear sermons that reflect on things I'm thinking about and get a little discouraged because they were writing down the things that I was going to write about!! The things God was working through me. Instead of enjoying them and letting God work through them, I would get jealous! I was going to preach that sermon!!!

This is a terrible mindset and it hit me hard a few years ago. I've been praying through it, feeling victories in it, and now listening to this cd I'm realizing that the victory has come. (You know - we should actually be winning some of these battles of the heart and mind.)

Now I rejoice when I hear a sermon or a song that reflects what God is working through me, because it shows the true movement of the Holy Spirit - which is not just through one person but throughout the entire church. It's encouraging instead of jealousy- making. It is validating that thought in my head as from God, not something I've conjured up on my own.

JF wrote a couple of songs about things I've been preaching on and thinking about - especially his attack on the false worship that's permeating the Christian church. Basically, it's a worship of their own worship. Aren't we awesome for singing these songs!! But the things that God finds worshipful are acts of righteousness, justice and mercy upon those who are weak. I hate the current culture of worship. Not the songs, not the styles, but the mentality. Honestly - most of the time I don't care what song I'm singing as long as the heart and hands are lifted to God and to the hurting. But most of the time I feel like it's a milquetoast offering of ourselves to the rest of the church, not to the Lord.

So I'm listening to these songs and enjoying them, enjoying the same Spirit that is working through Jon Foreman and through me and through thousands across the US that are beginning to feel the same way. Just because JF can write them better doesn't mean I should get jealous - it means I should thank the Lord that He is moving. I'm glad I've grown up in this thought - because the former mindset was another Christ-killer in my life.

No comments: